Romanian and Moldovan Research Group
14th - 15th February 2008
School of Slavonic and East European Studies,
University College London
16 Taviton Street,
Convenors: Professor Dennis Deletant and Daniel Brett
Further information please contact Dennis Deletant firstname.lastname@example.org
ph. 0207 679 8816
9.45 - 10.00 Welcome
10.00 - 11.30 - Bucharest - Dr Tim Beasley-Murray (SSEES)
11.30 - 11.45 Coffee Break
- Jo Roberts (SSEES): "The Social Fabrication of 1930s Bucharest"
- Bruce O'Neill (Stanford University) "Placing Homelessness in Bucharest: Governmentality, Poverty and the Post-Socialist City"
11.45 - 13.15 - Migration - Dorota Osipovic (CEELBAS-SSEES - Research Student)
13.15 - 14.15 Lunch
- Réka Geambasu (Babeş-Bolyai University, Cluj) "Rural-Urban Migration and the Creation of "The New Socialist Man" in Communist Romania"
- Raluca Prelipceanu (EUREQua, University of Paris 1, Pantheon Sorbonne) "New Patterns of Highly Skilled Mobility and Societal Transformation in Romania"
14.15 - 15.45 - Minorities - Professor Martyn Rady (SSEES)
16.00 - 17.30 - Party Politics in Romania - Dr Seán Hanley (SSEES)
- Sinziana Preda (Timisoara West University) "Being a Minority in Contemporary Romania: The Czech Minority in the Southern Banat"
- James Kapalo (Study of Religions, School of Oriental and African Studies) "Healing, Text and Performance: The Construction of Gagauz Religious Reality"
- Fiona Robertson (SSEES) "Youth Political Participation in Romania"
- Ed Maxfield (University of Sussex) "Basescu, the PD and Romania's Centre-Right - Towards a Post-Communist Politics?"
10.00 - 11.30 - Nation Building in Romania - Dr Rebecca Haynes (SSEES)
11.30 - 11.45 - Coffee
- Raul Carstocea (SSEES) "Romanian Anti-Semitism in the Context of the Nation-Building Project after the Congress of Berlin"
- Raluca Musat (SSEES) "The Gusti School and Nationalism in Interwar Romania - Setting Out the Questions"
11.45 - 13.15 - Nationalism in Interwar and Wartime Romania - Professor Dennis Deletant (SSEES)
13.15 - 14.15 Lunch
- Tudor Georgescu (Oxford Brookes University) "The Interwar Transylvanian Saxon 'Movement for Renewal' and the Quest to Rejuvenate, Regenerate, and Rehomogenise an Idealised Nation"
- Chris Davis (University of Oxford) "Configuring the Ethnic Nation: Minorities, Population Transfers, and Biopolitics in Wartime Romania"
14.15 - 15.45 - Moldovan Politics and Society - Dr Peter Duncan (SSEES)
15.45 - 16.00 Tea Break
- Elena Gnedina (Queen's University Belfast) "Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Moldovan Foreign Policies, 2001-2007"
- Cristina Mosneaga (SSEES) "Legal and Illegal Migration as a Challenge to the State: The Case of Moldova 1991-2006"
- Radu Cinpoes (Kingston University) TBC
16.00 - 17.30 - Romanian Politics and Society - Dr Radu Cinpoes (Kingston University)
- Sorin Denca (University of Birmingham) "European Integration and Foreign Policy in Central and Eastern Europe"
- Lara Scarpitta (University of Birmingham) "Did EU Conditionality Really Work? Anti-Corruption and Justice Reforms in Post-Accession Romania"
The Centre for
the Study of
This page last modified
Thursday 7 February 2008.